Friday, September 12, 2008

9/11

7 years . . . where has the time gone? 9/11 forever changed us; I still get choked up just thinking about that day, it all seemed surreal. Of course, everyone always asks, "Where were you when you learned of the attack?" My answer is driving to the gas station, listening to my favorite Detroit Rock station DJ's who I thought were goofing around (their usually antics') when they said a plane just hit the World Trade Center. Yeah, right what these guys won't do was my first thought, and then moments later I realized just how serious Drew and Mike were. I continued about my morning, driving my daughter, Ryleigh to daycare and alerting the daycare center to turn on their TV that something is going on in New York. I then began my 70 mile drive to our lake to pay the late taxes at the township office. During my drive my husband called, he was to immediately report to his plant at Ford Motor Company since he is an ERT, they weren't sure what was the plan, but please report. Then I called my sister who was at work, disbelief. As I arrived about an hour later at the township office the ladies were not aware of the attack, turn on your radio or TV, I said. Here is my payment, I gotta go. Since my parents live at the lake I quickly drove to their house, they were not home but I let myself in just in time to see the second plane hit the other tower. I just couldn't comprehend what I was seeing, my husband called about then telling me to get back home, daycare called us to come and pick up our daughter they were closing the school for the day. I called my sister who decided to leave work and she picked up Ryleigh for us; we all converged at my house and spent the rest of the day staring in disbelief at the scope of what was happening. We shed many tears, discussed our fears and were just thankful we were together; some were less fortunate then us. May we never forget, I don't think it is possible . . . I am very proud to be an American!

Show your pride with a flag for your desktop - www.deskflag.com

No comments: